skip to main content

E-mail Us

Please e-mail us using this form, or you can use this e-mail address: to send e-mail using your own e-mail program.

Your Name:

Your E-mail:



Leave this empty!!! If you see it

Note: All fields on this form are required.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA)?

The Associate of Arts (AA Option A), Associate in Biology, Associate in Business and Associate in Pre-Nursing are known as the Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) transfer degrees that are accepted by all of the Washington public and most of the private baccalaureate universities. The DTA degrees are recognized as fulfilling most, if not all, of the general education requirements.

Keep in mind that the University of Washington will evaluate your community college courses on an individual basis (course-by-course) and will determine what other general education requirements are required for graduation from the UW.

If a student transfers with the DTA associate degree completed, he or she will generally be admitted with junior standing. These agreements assure the direct transfer of credits from a community college such as Highline to a baccalaureate school. The agreement does not assure automatic admission. However, many Washington baccalaureate give priority admission to students who complete the degree. Be sure to check with your college for admission requirements, including any additional general education courses and major pre-requisites and GPA. It is very important that you know what the requirements are for admission to your major, including the GPA requirement.

Which Highline classes transfer to a four-year college or university?

Typically, all classes numbered over 100 and that are listed on the current DTA and the Associate of Science degree distribution list will transfer to the public, and most of the private, colleges and universities in the state of Washington. However, there are exceptions to the rule.

You are always welcome to contact the Advising Center if your are concerned about transferring your classes, or if you intend to go to a four-year institution outside the state of Washington.

Are there a maximum number of credits that I can transfer?

Generally the maximum number of credits that will transfer to a four-year college or university from a community college is 90 quarter credits (college level). However, every college and university is unique, so there are some institutions that will allow more than 90 credits from a community college. Check with your four-year university for clarification.

How many credits do I need to transfer?

To transfer to a four-year school with your Associate of Arts (A.A.) or Associate of Science (A.S) degree, you will need 90 college level credits. If you decide to transfer to the four-year school before receiving your Associate degree, the receiving institution will not automatically accept all of your credits. Be sure to refer to the Transfer Equivalency Guides to determine if a class you are planning to complete at Highline will transfer to your university. Click here to find the guides — check out the 4th column listed as How Highline Courses Transfer. Students must have completed the A.A. degree in order to participate in the Direct Transfer Agreement.

What is the Grade Point Average (GPA) that I will need to transfer to a four-year college or university?

This varies significantly from school to school. Some four-year universities and colleges may require a 2.5 or a 2.75 or higher cumulative transfer Grade Point Average (GPA). You should check directly with your university's Admissions Office to determine what a competitive gpa looks like. Remember that different departments within a four-year college or university may require a higher GPA from the one used for general admission. Refer to a catalog or representative from the institution you intend to transfer to in order to check the requirements.

When should I apply to my four-year college or university?

The deadlines for the four-year colleges or universities vary. Be sure to refer to the Admissions website of your intended college for a list of deadlines for general admissions, admission to your major (if there is a separate deadline), financial aid/scholarships and housing. Also, do not wait to be accepted by your university before applying for financial aid: Apply for financial aid early  (as soon as you are able to apply) even if you have not yet applied to your university or received a response from them regarding your acceptance.

How can I get my transcripts sent to another college?

To request an official copy of your transcripts, please refer to the Admissions website for instructions. You are expected to send official transcripts from every college attended when you apply to a four-year college or university, even if you did not receive credit for a course(s).